Törley

törley sparkling wine  - ungarische weine - vins hongrois

Törley

Joseph Törley had its business registered at the Budapest Court of Registration on 1 August, 1882 under the name of “Törley József és Társa”. Thus, the history of Törley sparkling wines goes back to nearly a century and a half.

Openly for the novelties, Törley has continuously developed its factory and the technology of sparkling wine manufacturing – for example, he was the first one in Hungary who introduced the disgorging process. Thanks to this, his plant had become the most modern sparkling wine factory of the country by the turn of the century. Over the next few decades, the reputation and flavor of Törley has become known from America to Australia, and the factory had deposited stocks in Hamburg, Berlin and Copenhagen. And the greatest recognition was that at that time, Törley sparkling wine was drunken also in Paris.

After the death of the founder, the factory continued to flourish also under the direction of the heirs, and by 1910, it had reached the production level of two million bottles a year. Following the peace treaty in Trianon, the turnover declined significantly, reaching its lowest point during the Great Depression. In the 1930’s, the demand for sparkling wine grew again, but the success was eventually broken by the Second World War, followed by a period full of difficulties and then a rebirth.

After the war, until the nationalization of 1950, the plant had been trying to survive, employing only four people. Production started again in 1951, and Törley became the only sparkling wine factory of the country under the supervision of Unicum Liqueur Factory. Törley Holding was established in 2005, and thereafter, it merged with Szent István Korona, which was created by the transformation of Hungarovin and György-Villa, acquiring first Walton in 2010 then François winery in 2013. Finally, in 2014 Hungaria also merged with Törley, which is still holding its market leading position in Hungary.

etyek-buda

The Etyek-Buda wine region is on the border of Budapest and extends on circa 5632 hectares. Etyek is situated 30 kilometers from the capital in the Etyek Hills on the northeastern border of Fejér County. The hills are windy but the plateaus obtain excessive sunshine, have unique ecological conditions, and their limestone-rich, deep-layered brown forest soil provides good acid-structured base for wines.

“Etyek is the vineyard of Budapest” – already in the Roman period wine-growing was widespread in the area. 13th century entries mention the wine-production of the Buda Hills; flourishing grape cultivation became the main source of income for local people. According to the chronicler of Ladislavus IV, a knight named Aynard arrived to Hungary together with Margaret – second wife of Béla III – in 1186, whose family came from Champagne and who later became landlord of Zsámbék. The king welcomed the company of his wife and he expressed his hospitality by granting rich estates. Traditions of grape cultivation that are used today can be traced back to the beginning of the 1700s when German vine-growers were settled in the village after the chasing out of the Turks from Hungary. The Hungarian Royal Chamber and the ecclesiastic and secular landlords were the leaders of settling German people. In Fejér county it was the members of the Esterházy family and the Jesuits who settled German Catholics to their lands.

The conditions of the wine-district resembles to Champagne which was noticed by József Törley as well, who used the grapes of the area and made his champagne factory world-famous. Peasants of Etyek worked on the neighboring lands of Archduke József in Alcsútdoboz, in the area of Göbölpuszta and its wine cellars, today property of the Etyeki Kúria. Today only 120 wine cellars operate out of the 1000, two rows of them are protected.